The short version:
- The DC-Chicago train went very nicely.
- The Chicato-SF train was delayed almost 8 hours due to mechanical trouble in the station, ice on the switches, and an impressively damaged bridge, so we got in at 1 in the morning.
- San Francisco is lovely and still not flat. We have seen many museums and visited lots of interesting people.
- Slumdog Millionaire is an excellent movie. Go see it. Only, possibly not if you’re sensitive to flashing lights.
- Muir Woods (redwoods!) is amazing.
- There are things growing here! We went to the Farmer’s Market and there were citrus fruits and vegetables and I had happy sustainable lamb for lunch and this makes me very happy. I also bought absurdly gourmet caramels, which I may share with people in Boston when I get back if you ask nicely.
- There will be another museum and Judaica shopping today.
- Then tomorrow we drive down to LA, stopping at the Monterray Bay Aquarium and staying the night in a cute motel in Big Sur. The number of restaurants in Big Sur that both serve things I eat and are not obscenely expensive is distressingly small. The one really neat-sounding one I found on the internet isn’t open on Mondays.